Thursday, October 23, 2008

Techneek of the Week - Create a Background

The instructions for this one will have to wait...I'm barely keeping my head up here! But I'll post my finished layout, and you guys can work backwards until I get some beauty sleep!

(I wonder if I can will the photos to upload faster...nope, but here they are anyways!)





See you back here tomorrow for some tips on how to create this bad boy of your very own!!
_______________________________________________

Update: November 1, 2008

So I am officially a wiener, and not the good Oscar Meyer kind. Just a plain old wiener. I totally forgot - again - about posting instructions on creating your very own background. A thousand apologies. I'll post some now, but there won't be any photos, as I am at work and don't have them here.




Step One: Assemble your mess-making materials. For this layout I pulled some Daffodil Glimmer Mist, alcohol ink, various colours of paint, and various implements for applying said paint. Eg.) Popsicle stick, paintbrushes, an old credit card (good for scraping), etc. Plus, there's always your fingers...don't forget about those bad boys!




Step Two: Loosely plan - in your head - how you want your background to look. I was thinking about stripes when I started, and even though my finished background isn't very stripy, it was a good starting point for me.





Step Three: Choose your first colour/material and apply it. I started with red paint and applied it with a popsicle stick, the kind you get in your rub-on packages. It works kind of like a painters knife, and you can really scrape your paint across the surface of your page in interesting ways. And I just kept playing with it until I got something that looked good. You could also use an old credit card or gift card to get the same effect.




Step Four: Pick your next colour/material and apply it. This is where I kind of moved away from my stripe plan with the beige swirl of paint at the top. And I just used a paintbrush and freehanded the swirl. It turned out to be the perfect place to put my title.




Step Five: Next I applied the dark blue paint underneath the red paint...and I totally didn't like how it looked. At all! It was sort of a big blob, with a goofy shaped tail coming out. Remember that if you do "make a mistake" you can always cover it with a photo or embellishment, OR you can fix it with another application of a different medium...like I did. (See Step Seven)




Step Six: I just started spritzing Ranger's Red Pepper Colour Wash in random places on my layout. You can see it up near the top, and around my big swath of red in the middle. I didn't completely cover my background in this, as I still wanted the Kraft cardstock to show through.




Step Seven: Next I sprayed Tattered Angels Daffodil Glimmer Mist over top of the painted lines and swirls. Then I went back in to the dark blue that I didn't like and started spreading it around, as the Glimmer Mist had made it nice and wet and great to play with. I swirled it down below the red and blended it so it wasn't such a strong colour.




I really like making my own backgrounds because #1 it's fun to get messy, and #2 it's nice to create something that will go just right with your photos. I didn't have any paper that had red, blue, orange AND white in it, and all the papers I tried were just too bright for my liking. And once I was done getting messy, I had fun finding embellishments and sticker letters that added to the unique colours of my made-up background!!





Thanks for being patient with me...I hope it was worth the wait!

No comments: