Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ten Second Studios

I can't believe I forgot to post this last week...I'm so forgetful sometimes!!

I must say, that this stuff was hard for me to work with. I don't know if it was because I didn't seek proper instruction beforehand as to what tools served what purpose, or something else. And while it was a complete failure, it wasn't a complete success either!

You will need:
- coloured metal sheets
- a shape to emboss (or embossing template)
- tools (I'm using the brayer and sanding thingy)

Step One: Lay your metal over top of the image you want to emboss. I'm using a Riff Raff Chipboard shape because I didn't have any of the embossing plates at home.

Step Two: Brayer over the entire image. Make sure you get in all the cracks and seams, so the image is "transfered" to the metal fully. If your image has a lot of small detail, there are other tools that will emboss it better than the brayer.
Step three: Once the shape is there, you can start sanding the surface colour off to show the raw metal underneath.
Like this!
Here you can see the Riff Raff shape next to the finished metal action.
I tried some of the other rolling tools to create texture. Use them on the back of the metal then sand the top for the "best" results.

Note: Alcohol ink will take the colour off your coloured metal. So if you want to use alcohol inks, buy the uncoloured metal sheets.

I recommend: Buying the video! Or going to their helpful website. There are lots of videos there, that I probably should have watched before I attempted anything! They will be more helpful than this post...sorry for wasting your time! (TEE HEE!)

K.C. is running a fabulous class this weekend, using all of this stuff...check it out!

Thanks to my assistance Lucas for holding some tools while I took pictures. He had a lot of fun with this technique!

I promise to have something better for you this week...and I'm going to work on it today so I don't forget again!!

No comments: