Friday, June 12, 2009

TOTW - Image Etching

This week I am going to show you how to create a special background...using some sandpaper. Remember when you use to do rubbings of leaves when you were a kid? This is a similar idea, except using sandpaper to scrape away the face of the paper to leave a rough, etched image.

You will need:
- sandpaper, sanding block, file, etc.
- white core paper
- a chipboard or metal shape, basically something that is 3D that will create a nice etching

Step One: Grab your sanding tool and your shape. Put the shape underneath the paper, making sure you leave the side you side you want the pattern to show on, on the top.



Step Two: Start sanding over your image. You will need to hold down the paper so it doesn't move around and mess up your etching.





Remember that some shapes will show more detail than others. I just wanted the outline to show, so I wasn't too worried about the holes in the centre of my chipboard shape. Keep that in mind when you pick a shape to rub...and maybe do a test before you do it right on your layout!




I repeated the same steps a number of times up the side of my layout, just placing the chipboard shape randomly behind my paper and sanding again. Some of my etched shapes are sanded more than others, but I like the look.



TWO FOR ONE!! This is your bonus Techneek for this week! A Techneek within a Techneek post...wowee wow wow!!




Grab a sheet of paper and a pen. Now fold that paper in half and start drawing!


I drew a simple star/flower shape that sort of resembles the chipboard shape I used for my etching.



This is a rough doodle and doesn't have to be perfect. BUT I know there are perfectionists among you, so you can trace another shape, or use a pencil and keep erasing it until you get it just right!








Once you've got your shape drawn, cut it out. Because I only drew the shape on one side of the paper, once I cut it out and unfold it I have a full shape!







Ta-da!









You can doodle around the edge or leave it plain. I like extra doodles, so I added some simple lines around the edges.

This kind of embellishment is great because you can make it any size, colour, pattern, and shape to go along with the theme of your layout.





The finished layout!
























Those keeners among you might notice that I used leftovers from last week's Techneek. Shazzam!

You could also try:
- After you sand down your shape, try spraying Glimmer Mist over top. It will colour the white pieces and add a little extra interest to the rest of the background.
- Rubbing over the shape with a crayon or pencil crayon.
- Once you're done etching, add your shape to your layout.
Happy Creating!!

1 comment:

Electra said...

This is a cool, idea, you come up with such interesting techneeks! Thank you!