Friday, August 7, 2009

TOTW - Sweet Background

This week I was inspired by a layout here. I think she used Jenni Bowlin labels, but I had these Melissa Frances ones handy, so I used them. As per usual I always recommend you make use of the stuff you already have on hand for my techniques, instead of always running out to buy something new. I'm so keen to help you make the most of your supplies!


This is a fun way to re-use some of your packaging and make a sweet background while you're at it!


You will need:
- die cut tag sheet (but you don't need the actual tags, just the sheet they come in!)
- spray ink (Glimmer Mist, Colour Wash, Maya Road, etc. etc.)



Step One: Pop all of the tags out of the sheet they came in and put them aside.


Step Three: Lay the tag sheet over top of your background paper.



Step Four: Spray your ink all over the sheet. I used two shades of red (one darker than the other) to add a little depth, but use whatever colours you have at home. I also like to blot off some of the excess ink before it dries. This way it looks a little more even, and the paper takes less time to dry!


This is what it looks like with all the colours on:


Ooh la la! Looks super cool on the Melissa Frances ivory grid paper!


And the finished layout. This is a little piece I'm going to display in my dining room.

Super Fab Note: I took my inspiration for this technique from Amanda Johnson. You can find more of her stuff on her blog: Heres looking at me kid.