Friday, July 17, 2009

TOTW - Metallic Crackle Paint!!

Finally finally finally the metallic crackle paint from Ranger came in! Yippee! So it bought it in both silver and bronze and I played with it right away and I really wanted to do a Techneek for you. So we are going to make a stencil today and paint it and it's going to be lovely!


You will need:
- acetate
- a Sharpie, Slick Writer or other permanent marker to draw your word on the acetate
- Craft blade and cutting board
- Metallic Crackle paint!!!
- Scotch tape (or painters tape) to stick the stencil down while you are painting it


Sorry about the crooked pictures...I'm not too sure why Blogger doesn't like me!!


Step One: Draw your message on the acetate. It doesn't have to be perfect or wonderful. Once you cut it out with the craft blade it will be even less so anyways!


Step Two: Cut out your letters with the craft blade. I can't find my real craft cutting board so I'm using a kitchen cutting board! It was handy!


Step Three: I think it's a good idea to kind of have your page planned out so you know where you want your stenciled word to go. I put down some rub-ons first.



Step Four: I taped my stencil down so it wouldn't move around when I started painting it.

Step Five: Start painting. I just daubed it right on. The thicker it is, the bigger the cracks will be. The best way to apply paint on a stencil like this is to start outside and bring the paint in. That way there is a smaller chance of the paint bleeding underneath the stencil.

Step Six: Here are all the letters all painted up. Leave the stencil in place until the paint starts to dry.
Then you can gently peel it up, and set the page aside to finish drying.


And here is the almost-finished layout.
And a close up of the paint. It stays so shiny and looks amazing once it's dry. You really have to see it in person to get the full effect! It is my new favourite, for sure!!!


Next week I want to show you how I plan on finishing this layout...with a fab little transparency pocket to hold my sister's photo keepsake from her wedding.
Additional Supplies:
- Hambly Rub Ons black frames
- American Crafts chandelier sticker
- Font Werks letter stamps & Distress ink pad (some kind of blue!)
- Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Denim and Moonlight

No comments: