Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wooden Star Project

This Just In...the store. We have a whole new batch of shapes from Letters by Janna, and they are awesome! I couldn't help myself, and took home a star before I even knew what I was going to do with it! But now I'm glad I did, because it turned out beautifully.



This project is great for new babies, housewarmings, or just because. The shapes come completely unfinished, so you can decorate them in whatever way you'd like: crazy like mine, or with just a coat of paint or stain.

You will need:


  • Large Wood Shape: Right now Treasured Memories has two sizes of hearts and stars, and three sizes of flowers, but you can also order them directly from Letters by Janna. I am using the smaller star ($16) for my project. The large star and heart cost $21.

  • Gesso/primer: I used gesso to prime the surface before I started applying the papers and ink, but any kind of primer or white paint will work. This just gives a nice even surface to start on.

  • Pattern papers: scraps work great for this, as you are going to rip and tear them and if you cover them in more paint the colours and pattern will be muted.

  • Paint: I used white paint (gesso works for this as well), green and blue. Any craft or acrylic paints works well here.

  • Matte Gel Medium: I use this to adhere all of the pattern papers, and seal them. White glue works to adhere the papers, and you could use any kind of varnish or sealer (water-based) that you have on hand. Matte is just my preference.

  • Glimmer Mist, foam stamps, rubber stamps, letter stamps, chipboard shapes, charms, etc. Grab anything you might want to use to further embellish your shape once you have the base down.

Here are some close ups of the shape.



And the charms at the bottom. I am a big fan of hanging things off other things. So I attached some dangly things off the bottom of the star with some wire.


I will post some step-by-step pictures later in the week, so check back. I'll also have something fun for the Techneek of the Week in Thursday!

If you have any questions about this, or any other project or Techneek, feel free to email me! lisakercher@gmail.com

_____________________________________________

I am looking for class suggestions...layout, mini-album, technique, etc. You can email me with your ideas. This will help me out SO MUCH in planning next month's schedule. Thanks!

No comments: