Friday, September 26, 2008

Techneek of the Week - Fasteners

So I lied earlier...this isn't a terribly exciting Techneek for you...it's more of a tip, a piece of advice, something new to try. It is part inspired by the layouts I'm doing right now for an upcoming kit (shhh...don't tell Juli I posted them!!), part inspired by the fact that I totally ran out of Dot N Roller today, and part inspired by the hat I made to wear to my girlfriend's wedding last weekend which is called a "fastenator." (sp?)


This Techneek is all about using things other than standard adhesive to stick your photos and embellies onto your layout!

OOH AAH!!


#1: Use staples

This is a simple one. I often use a stapler to attach ribbon to my layouts, as it is easier and quicker and less messy than using liquid adhesive or glue dots. But staples also work for attaching felt shapes, fabric, flowers, paper and even your photos.


In this next picture I even did a little line of staples down from my photo to mimic the vertical lines I had created with the ribbons beside. So staples can even be used as a decorative element! I have coloured staples in my stash that fit in my mini-stapler when I'm in the mood to add some more colour!


In this picture you can also get a glimpse of my next Fastener Tip...



#2: Stitch it!!

This is a favourite of my main girls Anam and Juli...but they know how to use a sewing machine and boy do they use it!! Sewing machines and Lisa cannot co-exist, but I do know how to thread a needle! So I hand stitch on my layouts using brightly coloured embroidery floss! It is a simple and inexpensive way to add colour and texture to your layouts without pulling out your old Singer!


#3: Use paper clips

As far as I'm concerned, any office supply is fair game when it comes to scrapbooking, but I have these old school brass-looking paper clips that I love adding to layouts. Here I just used them along the edge to "attach" my Hambly transparency to the background, but they also look amazing with a ribbon tied through them, or holding a label or tag above a photo.


You can even buy fancy paper clips, like the KI Memories one pictured below! See...they are for scrapbooking too!

Raid the drawers in your home office and you'll find so many goodies that will work well on your layouts! I guarantee it!


#4: Use Brads


This may seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes you just need a helpful reminder of all the wonderful things that brads can do for you! The most obvious way to let a brad help you stick something down is by using it in the centre of a flower. But don't forget brads look great at the top of a tag, or at the end of some ribbon.

I don't have a layout handy that shows you this method of fastening, but I'm sure if you take a peek through some of your own albums, you'll find some!


And the full layouts:


I know this wasn't terribly exciting this week, but I hope it gives you some "food for thought" when it comes to thinking about your scrapbooking differently! Maybe you should just "lose" your adhesive next time you are creating and see what other fascinating ways you can discover!!

later,

P.S. For pictures of the rad hat I made, check out my blog!

No comments: