Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Project of the Month

Now, I just don't post enough cool projects here! I want to remedy that this week with (hopefully) two fun projects you can do to add some fall flavour to your home decor!

Project Number One...I did up using some of the new Riff Raff Designs chipboard released this month. And you'll have to pretend you are reading this post five days ago, because that's when I meant to post it and then Thanksgiving weekend happened. Hmmm.

You will need:
- four 6x6 canvases (I buy mine in a pack that comes with some 12x12 as well, but I'm sure you could buy them on their own in as many number as you need!)
- scraps of pattern paper cut into random shapes (mine are all squares and rectangles, but you could try circles or hearts or whatever for a totally different look!)
- paint in a bunch of (coordinating) colours - greens in my case - and some brown and black paint as well
- brayer, foam brush, foundation makeup applicator pad, old gift card, whatever you want to use to apply the paint...I use all of the above!
- something 3D to embellish your canvases - in my case I used the new Riff Raff, but if you have some fun metal embellishments, that would be great as well!
- a picture or drawing of a little trick-or-treater. I drew/.painted the ladies on my canvases, but if you have some vintage images handy or can print them off your computer, by all means go for it! This project is whatever you make of it!


Okay...GO!!!
Start by gluing down a smattering of pattern paper pieces all over each canvas. I use matte gel medium, and it works pretty well. It's easy to apply, covers and adheres well, and stays really smooth. Remember that you don't need a lot of glue, just enough to tack things down. Too much liquid adhesive just means things get blobby and globby and take forever to dry!

Once this has dried, apply two colours of your coordinating colour paint to a brayer, plastic gift card, foam brush, etc. and start rubbing and brushing them onto the papers. Get into all the cracks and gaps and cover the whole canvas. Now take a wet paper towel or wipe and get rid of some of that paint. Uncover some of the pattern papers a bit, blend the colours together and make everything start to look nice and smudgy.

Keep applying and removing paint until you have everything covered nicely. Now go in with your brown or black and create some shadows. You don't need a lot of the darker neturals, just enough to create some depth to the piece.

As a finishing touch, I added some metallic, shiny gold gel medium sparingly in a couple of places on each canvas. It adds a touch of glamour and interest and anything shiny is wonderful, really!


Witchy Woman...what are you cooking up dearie?
Little Miss Muffett...along came a spider... Skully...while she mainly believes in aliens she's keeping an open mind to include other ghoulies!
And Tiger Lily, who for some reason just wants to be sideways!
I heart Halloween, in every way! From the costumes and the dress up, to the decorations and the fun parties, and the candy and treats especially! These little guys already have taken over some prime real estate on my mantle and they look wonderful!

I hope they inspire you to take on your very own "mixed media" project sometime in the future! And for those of you who might need a little help with that, I am teaching a Canvas class at the store this weekend. Call Treasured Memories to sign up.
Shout Out...
I am inspired always by the lovely Kelly Rae Roberts...it was the above collage and paint technique written up in an issue of Cloth Paper Scissors that first got me into "mixed media" art. Check out Kelly Rae's website and blog for more lovely works of art and inspiration! And ways to find the "possibilitarian" within!
Later this week I hope to have another fun fall project for you, inspired by another one of my favourite artists, that can be changed to fit any decor, theme, or holiday festivities!
later skater alligator!

No comments: