Thursday, December 11, 2008

TOTW - Button Border

What fun!! I know this Techneek will appeal to all the Button-Lovers in our audience! And I know there are some hoarders, I mean collectors, out there who would appreciate this one as well!

A button border is a simple way to create texture, and a super way to direct your eye to your photo or title, the focal point on any layout!

You will need:

  • A bunch of buttons from your stash

  • Glue dots


Step One: Collect a handful of buttons from your stash that match the paper(s) you are using in your layout. I'm using some NEW buttons from the NEW Creative Imaginations Creative Cafe line we just got in to the store. It's super-awesome, because you can buy one button if you only want one. Or one tag, or one felt shape, or one felt word! Or five or ten...however many you want! And this way you can also mix-&-match your supplies based on the colours you need, not on the colours that the manufacturer thinks you need!



Step Two: Start assembling your button border directly on your layout where you want it to go! Don't stick anything down yet...we just want to get an idea of what looks good where. Use a variety of large and small buttons, different colours and and different shapes/styles if you can swing it. Try layering small buttons on top of larger ones.


Try and use it to define a border between pattern papers, or above or below a photo. The buttons provide a great "arrow" pointing out the focal point of my page - the photo!




Step Three: Once you have a look that you like, a nice combination of large and small, start gluing them down, one at a time. Add your title, and you're done!



You could also try:

  • Adding some rhinestones or bling along with the buttons for a little more sparkle!!

  • Stitch your buttons directly on your page (using embroidery floss and a needle)

  • A simple line of same-coloured buttons in different sizes
_________________________________________________

Another contest!!

Since the last one was such a hit, and I am in such a giving mood with the holidays coming up, I'm having another contest!

Post a comment below, stating your favourite Holiday Tradition and you're entered to win one of two prizes!

I'll post the winner with the Techneek of the Week next week before I take a little holiday break!




9 comments:

Unknown said...

Favourite Holiday Tradition easy - decorating gingerbread houses and Grannie's stuffing.

Unknown said...

My favorite holiday tradition is eating a big breakfast as a family after opening stockings on Chrismas morning. We all stay in our pjs. It is fantastic!

Jennifer K. said...

My favourite holiday tradition is letting the kiddies open up one present on Christmas eve. They always get so excited!!

Tracey said...

Love your button border layout!!!

My fave tradition would be going to my parents' place and seeing all of my family!!

Electra said...

For the last twenty years, I've worked with people who are homeless/poor/disenfranchised. Each Christmas I go in and cook and serve supper so the staff can have the day off. Every year leading up to the big day, I tell myself, this year, I'll stay home. And then I go in and do it all again. I never regret it, in fact, it really is the highlight of my holiday season. It's always so peaceful. I guess after twenty years, that would make it a tradition?
Now I have to go do a button layout. :-)
Thanks!

Lisa S said...

Our favorite family tradition is going to see Bright nights. We have gone every year since we moved here. After words we always stop for hot chocolate and donuts. the kids love it.

Veronica said...

I think one of my fav Christmas traditions would be helping my mom decorate her "fancy" tree and making the annual stop at Canadian Tire for more lights and decorations.

Paula said...

My favorite tradition is midnight waffles. On Christmas Eve, we go to my husband's cousin's house for waffles following midnight mass. They have been doing it for a long time and I love it! We see people there we don't get to see very often.

Shauna said...

My favorite holiday tradition is wrapping Christmas gifts while listening to Christmas songs and sitting by the "burning log" channel on the TV (since we don't have a real fire place!)