Friday, May 8, 2009

TOTW - Heidi Swapp MEGA MASKS

The Techneek this week features a new product...well sort of new...it's been out for awhile but I haven't played with it yet. So "new to me" is a better way of putting it I guess!

You will need:
- Heidi Swapp mega mask (I'm using the big stars)
- background paper
- Glimmer Mist (today my version is with Glimmer Mist, but scroll all the way down to the bottom for more ideas!)
- making tape, scrap paper or newsprint

Step One: Protect your workspace! I cannot stress this enough in any of my Techneeks. Glimmer Mist will wash out of most things, but why take the risk! Keep some of that paper and plastic handy to cover the edges of the mask as well.


Step Two: Position your mask on your paper. The mask is very sticky...very. So press it onto your shirt or the carpet to get some lint on it so it's not so tacky the first time you use it (Heidi's suggestion, not mine...but it's a good one!). Stick it down, making sure to pay special attention to the areas you will be spraying.

Step Three: Make sure the rest of the mask is completely covered. The Heidi Mega Masks have many masks on one sheet, so cover up all but the one you want to show. I use old Treasured Memories paper bags that I tack down with masking tape. Glimmer Mist has a tendency to get everywhere! Especially in places you don't want it!
See how I've covered everything but the big star I want to spray. Nothing else is showing.


Step Four: Spray your mist. I'm working with two colours today: Daffodil and Orange Sherbet (I think...don't quote me on that!). I'm doing each colour on a different star, but you could combine colours on the same part of the mask for a shadow effect...which would look really cool too!


Spray until the shape is covered to your liking, then blot off the excess with some paper towel. This means less mess when you pull the mask off, and helps blend any areas of the Glimmer Mist that might have pooled.



Step Five: Gently, GENTLY, pull the mask off your paper. GENTLY! You might want to first pull of the protective sheets of paper or plastic, if you used any.
NOTE: I totally pulled some of the first layer off my background paper. I think it was bound to happen, as the brand new mask is very tacky to start with! The more you use it, the less this is likely to happen. But it just added to my overall messy effect, so I wasn't too concerned about it!
If you are going to do another shape on the same background, wait a bit for the first shape to dry. I found that when the shape was still wet, the mask pulled off the surface very easily, as you can see below.

Complete all the steps for the next shape, and let it dry.

And the finished layout! I love how the stars turned out! To really showcase them, I outlined them roughly with a black pen, and continued the doodling around the edge of the page.







I also added some black spray paint and teal and yellow alcohol ink (squirted on) to complete the messy look.
























You could also try:
- Using ink, spray paint, acrylic paint, etc. to create the effect.
- Layer multiple masks on the same page. On the back of the package there's a great example of this.



I was inspired by some office supplies today, while at the office...ah ha...and decided to complete a layout at work!!! It can be done!!! I used labels, self-inked stamp (smiley face :-), masking tape, a paper clip and various other items you might find in excess at a dental office! My learning experience? Never use re-inker on it's own on a page...it's way too wet and takes forever to dry and in the meantime gets all over your hands and tabletop and then on your other papers etc. etc. etc.!!

The labels on this page inspired the labels I used on my Techneek page...so I thought I would share. Inspiration can be found anywhere...including in your very own scrapbooks!

Later skater alligator. I'll be back tomorrow with a project...theoretically!!

No comments: