Sunday, October 19, 2008

Project of the Week - Prima's Mini Build-A-Book

Now, I am the first to say that I am not a fan of clear albums...until I played with this little guy! It is super fun, and the entire thing only took me about 4 hours to make, and most of that time was spent letting glue dry!!

And this little book is perfect as a mini keepsake of a fun winter getaway or just a good day playing outside in the snow! You can even hang it on your purse!


The Prima Build-A-Books come in a variety of shapes, and now sizes! And the newest line also has coloured ones! And this is the brain child of a local girl...Trisha Ladouceur! Check out their blog for more fun ideas!

But first, scroll down and try this one on for size. Unfortunately, since I am not Juli, there will be no fancy instructions to download...I am so not technical enough for that. So what I will do is type these bad boys up and if you really want the whole she-bang, you can email me and I will happily send them out to you! And then you can print them and read them at your leisure. lisakercher@gmail.com is the place to go. I will put the complete ones here as well, for those of you who just want to know now!!

Basic Supplies:

  • Two mini Prima Build-A-Book albums...I used the star and the simple one with tabs. If you copy mine to a tee you will have one star page leftover.

  • A binder ring...to hold the whole thing together


  • Additional Supplies:
    If you want to embellish yours the same way as mine, you will need the following supplies. If you want to go your own way, choose others that best fit your theme. There are, however, some fun techniques and tips you might want to try, like alcohol ink and Liquid Pearls. I'll try and mark the technique portions of the album within the instructions so you can just jump to those if you prefer! And I apologize if I am not calling the embellishments by their proper names...I am a "genius" and didn't write up a product sheet while I was working, so I am pretty much just going my memory here!

    Embellishments:
  • Colorbok shiny silver chipboard swirls & sparkly crown stickers & black word stickers

  • Kaiser Crafts teal rhinestones

  • Prima *new* blue flowers, small transparency (blue paint splotches), black bling swirls, one small blue Prima bulk flower

  • Transparency snowflake...I made mine using a plain transparency and our die cut machines

  • Chipboard swirls and heart...I used some from a Maya Road package because they were a nice small size, perfect for the mini album.

  • Maya Road clear wings and clear journaling tag

  • Heidi Swapp mirror...I used the small one from the package, which comes with four mirrors. Two pink and two not-pink

  • American Crafts black sticker letters

  • Heidi Grace chipboard sticker

  • American Crafts black Slick Writer...these guys are AWESOME to use on the clear books, as they dry immediately and won't smudge or smeer!

  • white cardstock

  • "Reusables"
  • Ranger Alcohol Ink in Stream and Pearl

  • Ranger Silver Liquid Pearls

  • Doodlebug white glitter

  • Liquid glue...I prefer Glossy Accents because it doesn't take very long to dry and it's great for clear embellishments and glitter, but use what you've got!

  • teal Stickles

  • NOTE: Blogger flipped a whole bunch of the photos I uploaded, so just bear with me for the time being. I will try and re-post them tomorrow!

    Step One: Before you begin you'll want to choose your photos, making sure you have enough spots for all of them that you want to include (there are spots for 7 in my finished album). And make sure they can be trimmed down. All the "photos", i.e. spots I left blank for photos, measure 2" x 2".

    You'll also want to punch holes in all of your album pages. The Prima Mini Build-A-Books don't come pre-punched, and for good reason...what if you only wanted one hole and they gave you three?? I used the Crop-A-Dile.

    Page One (the cover): Stick down a couple of teal rhinestones, a silver Colorbok swirl and a Colorbok word sticker. I mounted all the word stickers on white cardstock, cut them out, and traced around them with a black Slick Writer.

    Page Two: One Prima flower...I used Glossy Accents to glue everything down, especially things with brads in them. i didn't even attempt to stick the brad through the plastic!

    Page Three: On one of the star pages, I first traced the shape onto the small Prima transparency then cut it out. I glittered up this die cut acrylic star with Glossy Accents as my base, and some Doodlebug glitter sprinkled all over top...lots of it! Stick the rhinestone in the centre, and let it dry. It takes a while!

    Page Four: One Colorbok crown sticker. This guy was already sparkly!

    Page Five:Lindsay's technique with Pearl and Stream alcohol inks (I use Ranger). I included the link to the original Techneek post I did with this techniqe (using multiple colours of ink). It takes a bit of time to describe it, so I suggest you check out the full post and then apply what you need for this page. Once the alcohol ink is dry, which doesn't take nearly as long as glossy accents, stick down the Colorbok silver fleur-de-lis and the Prima black rhinestone swirl. I used the large swirls and cut them down to size.


    Page Six: The technique on these chipboard swirls is actually a mistake, and it didn't turn out like I wanted it to...so I just covered it up with some Stickles!! Then add some rhinestones.

    Page Seven: Smear Pearl alcohol ink onto the back of the page. Then on the opposite side, splatter some Stream alcohol ink. This way the two colours won't blend together. Embellish a teal flower with some teal Stickles and a rhinestone. Add Prima bling swirl, again cut down from a larger set.

    Page Eight: Apply Liquid Pearls to a chipboard heart, then lightly sprinkle Doodlebug white glitter over top. Once it is dry, stick it down with glossy accents. Add a rhinestone and Colorbok word sticker (not mounted on white cardstock).

    Page Nine: Trace the shape of the page onto the small Prima transparency and cut out. Attach with glossy accents. Apply Liquid Pearls to a chipboard swirl (Maya Road), then lightly sprinkle Doodlebug white glitter over top. Once it is dry, stick it down with glossy accents. Add a rhinestone and some teal stickles.

    Page Ten: Silver Colorbok swirl and a couple of rhinestones.

    Page Eleven: Apply Stream alcohol ink all over the star page. While it is drying, apply glossy accents all over the Maya Road acrylic wings and sprinkle Doodlebug glitter sprinkled all over top...lots of it! Apply Stream alcohol ink to a chipboard heart, then immediately sprinkle with blue Perfect Pearls. Stick the rhinestone on and place it on the still wet wings and let the whole thing dry. Once the wings are dry, stick them down to the page using glossy accents.

    Page Twelve: Use some American Crafts sticker letters and Colorbok words to create a little message.

    Page Thirteen: make sure you get a hole punched in the Maya Road ticket where it will line up with the rest of the pages and fit in with the album. Stick down the Prima flower using glossy accents.

    Page Fourteen: I used a rhinestone to cover the back of the brad that was showing through from the page before.

    Page Fifteen: Glue down the Heidi Swapp mirror with glossy accents. Stick the flower and rhinestone on top, and the rhinestone swirl beside.

    Page Sixteen (the back): Stick down the two pieces of the Prima flower (I didn't use the brad) and then stick the Heidi Grace sticker down in the centre...all with glossy accents. Create a message (or just put the year), using the American Crafts letter stickers to make the back of your photo look like it has a purpose!!


    Last Updated: October 23rd @ 11:30pm...still no email instructions ready to go out, for those of you who are looking for them, but I'm working on it! Sorry if there are any glaring mistakes...I'm a sleepy girl!


    Thanks for playing along!! And sorry again about the crooked photos!

    No comments: